The site of a dormant volcano, the winter landscape at Craters of the Moon National Monument is one of dramatic contrasts and rugged beauty. Dark, jagged rocks are scattered throughout the park protruding from deep layers of snow.
Things To Know
- Skiing and camping is free.
- The 7-mile Loop Drive is groomed for cross-country skiing, with mostly level terrain or gentle hills.
- Follow the orange snow poles to explore a 1.5-mile Snowshoe Loop Trail.
- There is one steep hill on the southwest flank of Inferno Cone. Novices should skip the loop clockwise to avoid coming down this hill..
- Check the park's website for maps of the ski and snowshoe trails.
Adventure In Your Inbox
Want more Nordic Skiing/Snowshoeing adventures like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up below for new adventures monthly.