Craters of the Moon is a vast ocean of lava flows with scattered islands of cinder cones and sagebrush. Explore this unique landscape via the loop drive, stop at the visitor center, or hike to caves and craters. In the winter, Craters is a great location for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing.
Things To Know
- Two of the trails are handicapped accessible.
- Check the website for events and guided nature hikes.
- Sunscreen and a brimmed hat are recommended.
- Wear closed-toe shoes.
- If planning to visit the caves, a flashlight is needed.
- A free Wilderness Permit is required to spend the night in the Craters of the Moon Wilderness area. They can be picked up at the Visitor Center during business hours.
- A permit is required for commercial filming or photography in the park. Contact the park for more information.
Adventure In Your Inbox
Want more National Monuments adventures like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up below for new Adventures monthly.