The Teton Scenic Byway runs along the western slopes of the spectacular Teton Range. It’s a 70-mile trip that includes breathtaking vistas, rivers, historic sites and access to the Grand Targhee Resort. In the Teton Valley there’s even a bike trail that runs parallel to the byway and an annual balloon festival in the quaint town of Driggs. Further north along this route the Upper Snake River Valley is full of fields of potatoes and other crops.
Things To Know
- Location: Begins on Idaho 31 at Swan Valley; travel northeast to Idaho 33 at Victor, then north on Idaho 33 to Idaho 32, and then north on Idaho 32 to Idaho 47 at Ashton.
- Length: 68.9 miles. Allow 2.5 hours.
- When to Visit: Throughout the year, but fall foliage and the wildflowers of late spring are spectacular.
- The road often has a snow floor in winter.
- Special Attractions: Great views of the Teton Mountains; Ashton to Tetonia Trail; Targhee National Forest; Teton Geotourism Center in Driggs; and Grand Targhee Ski Resort
- Plan ahead to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip (fill up on gas, pack water and food, etc.).
Adventure In Your Inbox
Want more Scenic/Backcountry Byways adventures like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up below for new adventures monthly.