Crazy. Out of their minds. Insane.
Those might be just a few of the words used to describe the world-class kayakers that stare down the raging waters of Idaho’s North Fork of the Payette River and live to tell about it during the North Fork Championship (NFC). These athletes travel to Idaho from around the globe to compete on some of the gnarliest water Mother Earth serves up.
In its inaugural year there was concern that the North Fork Championship race was too dangerous. The NFC went off in a big way with the athletes rising to the challenge of the difficult whitewater. The NFC, now heading into its fifth year, has become a platform to showcase the highest level of extreme kayaking.
This competition is not for the faint of heart and here a few of the most jaw-dropping photos to prove it.
1. Rush Sturges [USA] getting ready for the “Man Surf” to gate 2 at Rock Drop in Jacob’s Ladder.
2. Todd Wells [USA] enjoys the last bit of peace and stillness before dropping into the North Fork.
3. Kalob Grady [CAN] sends it past the massive Oceana hole on his way to a top 10 finish in NFC IV.
4. Thirty of the world’s best kayakers come to duke it out on Jacob’s Ladder to determine the best big water paddler.
5. Dane Jackson [USA] roosting a massive ‘boof’ off of Rock Drop.
6. Pangal Andrade Astorga [Chile] dropping into the Elite Division and rowdy whitewater for as far as he can see.
7. Aniol Serrasolses [Spain] sends a ‘kickflip’ off the NFC Red Bull Ramp.
8. Things are getting rowdy on the North Fork.
9. Gerd Serrasolses [Spain] absolutely on point on his way to being crowned the King of NFC IV.
10. Kyle Hull [USA] throws the kayaking ‘Church’ sign showing all is well with the river gods as he flies into Jacob’s Ladder.
Don’t let your North Fork Championship fun end here. Join the crowd and watch all the action unfold June 16-18, 2016. For more details on race times and other NFC festivities click here.
Visit Idaho is a proud sponsor of the North Fork Championship.
Published on June 9, 2016