Starting at the crossing of the Snake River, the Oregon Trail Backcountry Byway follows the route of the pioneers as they crossed the Idaho desert. Take a journey back in time as you walk in the ruts created by thousands of emigrants in search of a new home. Much of this route appears the same today as it did when pioneers traveled this route.
Things To Know
- Location: The byway starts at Glenns Ferry, 75 miles southeast of Boise. It can be reached from exit 121 off I-84.
- Attractions include numerous historical sites can be found along the route. These include Three Island Crossing of the Snake River, the hot springs site, Canyon Creek, and Mayfield.
- Drive Time: 102 miles. It is an all-day trip from Boise.
- Full services available in Glenns Ferry and Mtn. Home; no services along the byway.
- Plan ahead to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip (fill up on gas, pack water and food, etc.).
Adventure In Your Inbox
Want more Road Trips adventures like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up below for new adventures monthly.