Hells Canyon Scenic Byway offers breathtaking views of the canyon while winding its way along the east side of the massive rift that separates Idaho from neighboring Oregon. Towering cliffs of black and green basalt hang high above the Snake River and its sandy beaches.
Things To Know
- Location: Hells Canyon Road from Oxbow Bridge near Copperfield, Oregon, north along the Idaho side of the Snake River to Hells Canyon Dam.
- Guided float and jet boat trips on the Snake River are recommended.
- Special Attractions: Hells Canyon National Recreation Area features the deepest gorge in North America; guided float and jet boat trips on the Snake River; and guided tours of Hells Canyon Dam.
- Length: 22 miles. Allow three hours round-trip from Cambridge.
- Discover pictographs and petroglyphs on the walls of the canyon from early Indian settlements.
- Roadway: Hells Canyon Road is a narrow, winding two-lane, paved road with several steep grades.
- When to Visit: Throughout the year.
- Plan ahead to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip (fill up on gas, pack water and food, etc.).
Adventure In Your Inbox
Want more Scenic/Backcountry Byways adventures like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up below for new adventures monthly.