Things To Know
- Recreation season in the lower section of the wilderness usually begins in early spring and runs through late November.
- Winter storms and summer thunderstorms are common along the canyonlands and mountain ridges.
- The trail system mostly follows old Forest Service access routes to fires and stock trails used by ranchers to move livestock to remote salting areas and watering holes.
- Many trails follow ridges and traverse moderate slopes and benchlands with ease while others track steep slopes.
- These major trailheads can be accessed from Riggins: -Black Lake Campground (Trail #214) -Heaven's Gate Trailhead (Trail #101) -Windy Saddle Trailhead and Windy Saddle Horse Camp (Trail #124) -Snake River Trailhead (Trail #102)
Tips for Traveling in Idaho
There's so much to explore in Idaho, but where should you begin? Check out our weekly travel tips and start planning your next adventure.