Enjoy traversing through hay meadows, rolling hills, mountains, and juniper woodlands on the Owyhee Uplands Backcountry Byway. From sagebrush and wildflowers to wild rivers and picturesque mountains, many people believe this scenery is what the real West is all about.
Things To Know
- Length: 101 miles. Allow 8 hours.
- Location: The loop begins 80 miles southwest of Boise and can be reached from the west through Jordan Valley, Oregon, and from the east on Idaho 78 near Grand View, Idaho.
- Roadway: Mostly one to one-and-and-a-half lanes of gravel road.
- When to Visit: Early summer and fall. The byway is usually impassable from late November through March because of snow (precipitation can make the road treacherously slick.)
- Attractions: The North Fork of the Owyhee River gorge, Jordan Creek and the Owyhee Mountains.
- Places to Stop: Limited services in Jordan Valley, Grandview and Bruneau; no services along the byway.
Adventure In Your Inbox
Want more Scenic/Backcountry Byways adventures like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up below for new adventures monthly.