Following the old miner’s supply route from Banks to Lowman alongside the churning waters of the South Fork of the Payette River, Wildlife Canyon Scenic Byway goes through a canyon cut deep into the heart of the Idaho mountains. This route is considered some of the most powerful canyon scenery offered in the state.
Things To Know
- Length: 33 miles. Allow 1 hour one way. If driving from Boise, allow 3 hours for the 87-mile loop.
- Location: The route travels along Banks-Lowman Road and can be accessed either at Banks along Idaho 55 or at Lowman along Idaho 21. Either option will take you back to Boise.
- Roadway: Two-lane paved road with several turnouts for scenic viewing. Roadway is maintained year-round but can experience heavy snow during winter months.
- When to Visit: Throughout the year. Winter and spring offer exceptional elk viewing. In summer months, this stretch of river is world-renowned for whitewater rafting and kayaking.
- Attractions: Kirkham Hot Springs, Starlight Mountain Theatre, whitewater rafting outfitters for the Payette River, and Terrace Springs Golf Course.
- Places to Stop: Full services in Garden Valley; limited services in Banks, Crouch and Lowman.
Adventure In Your Inbox
Want more Scenic/Backcountry Byways adventures like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up below for new adventures monthly.