Things To Know
- 4WD or other high-clearance vehicle highly recommended to access observatory.
- The main banding site is handicap accessible.
- Be sure to bring your binoculars, bird field guide, water, sunscreen, a hat, closed-toe shoes, a camera, snacks, and seasonal clothes.
- Contact the office about overnight camping opportunities.
- Directions: From the intersection of Hwy 21 and I-84:, take Hwy 21 North (towards Idaho City). About 3 miles past the top of Lucky Peak Dam, turn left onto Highland Valley Road (about 3/4 mile before you get to The Hilltop Cafe) and follow this for a total of about 6 miles to our site in the trees just below the radio tower. There are “Intermountain Bird Observatory” signs at every important intersection. As you approach the peak, there is a gate. Park in the flat area to the right (beside the outhouse) and walk thru the gate and down the road for about 200 meters to the site in the trees.
Tips for Traveling in Idaho
There's so much to explore in Idaho, but where should you begin? Check out our weekly travel tips and start planning your next adventure.