This author is a paid content writer for Idaho Tourism.
Looking for a great family ski vacation? To find family-friendly slopes, you’ll need access to incredible terrain, slopes for every skill level, and unending piles of fresh powdered snow. Add in a tremendous town, great people, and spectacular cuisine, and you have the perfect recipe for making amazing memories with your kids.
In search of some awesome family ski vacation spots in Idaho, we spoke with ski town locals about the top places to eat, stay, and play. So, read on, family ski adventurer! All you have to do is book your trip, we took care of all the details for you.
1. Bogus Basin Mountain Recreation Area
Bogus Basin is situated 16 miles north of Boise. Easily accessible and well-maintained, this ski hill is hugely popular with skiers of all ages. During the day, there are 2,600 incredible acres available for skiing, and at night you can venture through 165 acres of well-lit terrain. The area has 53 well-groomed runs, ensuring that your family will never get bored, no matter the level little Susie or Aunt Leslie skis. If you need some gear for the kids there are many rental, repair, and retail spots where you can get everything you need. If you’re looking to mix it up, take the kiddos down the Pepsi Goldrush Tube Hill, an 800-foot downhill slide with a rope tow at the bottom for a relaxing ride back up to the top. See the Bogus Basin website for more details, or call (208) 332-5100 for more information.
- Junior High/High School Race Programs. Students also receive discounted lift tickets.
- Child sessions available. Groups include the Mogul Mouse Program for ages 3-6, and the Mountain Mite Program for ages 7-11.
- For intermediate to advanced riders, the Xtreme Team Program offers eight weeks of clinics for ages 7-17. The Backside Bashers will explore various terrain techniques for 18 and older.
- Life Sports and School Night programs offered for school-age groups. The program fee includes rentals, lessons and lift passes.
2. Brundage Mountain Resort
Brundage Mountain sits just 15 minutes north of McCall and is recognized for having seemingly endless amounts of powder. This kid-friendly ski hill has quite the reputation, and you’ll see why the moment you arrive. With 1,500 acres of terrain, 320 inches of annual snowfall, and 46 named trails, it’s hard not to believe the hype. Brundage offers multiple wide groomed and beginner runs. One of the best features is the Easy Street learning area, a wide groomed training ground specifically tailored towards beginners. It’s the perfect place to teach the kids! You can get more information on Brundage Mountain’s website, or by calling (208) 634-4151.
- Private coaching available from age 7 to adult, and for ages 6 and younger.
- Adventure Bears for ages 7-12 at the Kid’s Center. Hot lunch and snacks provided. Offered daily, ski only.
- Budget Youth Group for ages 7-12. No frills, primary focus on teaching skills.
- Kinder Bears for ages 3 – 6, lessons and child daycare offered daily. Recommended for the youngest skiers.
- Daycare available for children 6 weeks to 6 years of age.
3. Silver Mountain Resort
An easy one hour drive east of Spokane, WA, situated right in the panhandle of Idaho, sits Silver Mountain Resort. This extensive resort offers a magnificent terrain park, 73 well-groomed trails, 1,600 acres of pristine terrain, and more than 300 inches of snow annually. One of the benefits of playing on two mountains is having more time to ski with the little ones, and less wasted time standing in line. Be sure to visit Gondola Village while you’re there. It is accessible from a high-speed gondola and is filled with excellent shops, restaurants, and a day spa to help you relax while your kids play at the Silver Rapids Indoor Waterpark. Visit Silver Mountain Resort for more information, or call (208) 783–1111.
- Private lessons offered.
- Silver Kids Children’s Program for ages 7 – 12.
- Minors Camp Child Care for ages 2 – 7. Daycare and Lesson Packages available.
- Silver Mountain Snow Tube Park. A moving carpet is located at the bottom of the hill for an easy ride back to the top.
4. Sun Valley Resort
Known for it’s phenomenal landscape, majestic mountains, and abundant wildlife, Sun Valley sits atop the list of iconic skiing destinations in North America. This area contains 2,000 acres of terrain stretching over two mountains. With a wide variety of terrain and a lack of lines, Sun Valley is the perfect ski vacation spot for you and the kids. The mountains boast themed Adventure Trails for the kiddos, a tubing hill, North America’s largest superpipe, and 30 acres of glade skiing. Take a look at Sun Valley, or call (208) 622–4111.
- Private lessons available.
- The Family Private, a unique private family lesson. A great way to bond with the kids!
- Tiny Tracks for ages 2 – 4.
- Sun Valley Tubing Hill
5. Lookout Pass
With over 400 inches of annual snowfall, Lookout Pass can always be counted on for a good day up on the hill. Nestled outside of Mullan, the ski hill spans 540 acres with 34 named runs and prime powder glades, the longest of which is 1.5 miles. Difficulty ranges from beginner to expert, with a majority of the terrain being intermediate (ideal for family outings). Lookout Pass is a fun local ski hill that is perfect for teaching the kids. Multiple lessons are offered for any level of expertise, along with rentals and repairs with a 24-hour notice. Visit Lookout Pass for further details, or call (208) 744–1301.
- Mini Moose Club, a mountain endeavor for kids ages 3 – 6, parents are welcome to tag along.
Published on December 27, 2016