Few whitewater rafting trips offer as much continuous, explosive whitewater as the Lochsa River. Highway 12 follows the river, which allows for the convenient lengthening or shortening of trips. The Lochsa River contains rapids for rafters and kayakers of all skill levels. A federally designated wild and scenic river, the Lochsa is best known for rafting, but the fishing can be great.
Things To Know
- During high water, the Lochsa has some very large holes and requires precise maneuvering. Accidental swims in these areas can last for quite a while since the current is fast and continuous. During May and September, when the weather is cooler, be sure to dress warmly and in layers. It is always cooler in the morning.
- During the warmer months, June through mid-September, the typical rafting attire is a bathing suit, shorts, t-shirts and sports sandals.
- Bring along a bottle of water, a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen.
- Be prepared to get wet and dress according to your comfort level.
- Wear clothes that dry quickly and avoid denim pants or shorts and leather footwear.
- Life jackets are provided on outfitted trips.
Adventure In Your Inbox
Want more Rafting/Kayaking adventures like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up below for new adventures monthly.