Elk River Back Country Byway is an all natural, no frills, individualistic and unpretentious pathway through rural north central Idaho. The 57-mile route offers rugged backcountry adventure to travelers of all types.
Things To Know
- Location: The byway begins in Orofino at Idaho 7 and the junction of Wells Bench Road, crosses the North Fork of the Clearwater at Dent Bridge, then to Elk River where it joins Idaho 8 to Boville.
- Summer attractions include camping, boating, and fishing. Winter provides 300 miles of snowmobiling trails and 20 miles of groomed trails for skiing along the byway.
- Attractions include the Dent Bridge, Mill Pond, and Elk Creek Falls.
- Drive Time: 57 miles. Allow 2 hours one way.
- Forest lands along the byway are open to unimproved camping, so visitors can chose their site. Remember to "Pack it in, Pack it out".
- Plan ahead to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip (fill up on gas, pack water and food, etc.).
Adventure In Your Inbox
Want more Road Trips adventures like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up below for new adventures monthly.