Elk River Back Country Byway is an all natural, no frills, individualistic and unpretentious pathway through rural north central Idaho. The 57-mile route offers rugged backcountry adventure to travelers of all types.
Things To Know
- Location: The byway begins in Orofino at Idaho 7 and the junction of Wells Bench Road, crosses the North Fork of the Clearwater at Dent Bridge, then to Elk River where it joins Idaho 8 to Boville.
- Summer attractions include camping, boating, and fishing. Winter provides 300 miles of snowmobiling trails and 20 miles of groomed trails for skiing along the byway.
- Attractions include the Dent Bridge, Mill Pond, and Elk Creek Falls.
- Drive Time: 57 miles. Allow 2 hours one way.
- Forest lands along the byway are open to unimproved camping, so visitors can chose their site. Remember to "Pack it in, Pack it out".
- Plan ahead to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip (fill up on gas, pack water and food, etc.).
Adventure In Your Inbox
Want more Scenic/Back Country Byways adventures like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up below for new adventures monthly.