Pioneer Historic Byway retraces some of the steps taken by Idaho’s early pioneers and early-day Yellowstone Park visitors. Along the way you can see the remnants of the first grist mill in Idaho, one of the original Yellowstone Highway markers, the 100+ year old Mormon Oneida Academy,a section of the Oregon/California Trail, and many other historical points of interest, documenting early settlement in this portion of Idaho.
Things To Know
- Location: Begins at the Utah state line and follows US 91, then Idaho 34, north to US 30 and then east to Soda Springs where it meets the Oregon Trail-Bear Lake Scenic Byway. From there, north on Idaho 34 toward the Wyoming state line.
- Attractions include Red Rock Pass, Niter Ice Cave, and Soda Springs.
- Drive Time: 127 miles. Allow 2.5 hours.
- The section of Idaho 34 between Soda Springs and the Wyoming border may occasionally be closed in winter
- Plan ahead to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip (fill up on gas, pack water and food, etc.).
Adventure In Your Inbox
Want more Scenic/Backcountry Byways adventures like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up below for new adventures monthly.