Part of the International Selkirk Loop, Wild Horse Trail Scenic Byway heads north along the eastern side of the Selkirk Mountains, following the Kootenai Tribe’s historic path to fishing grounds at Lake Pend Oreille.
Things To Know
- Location: Begins on U.S. 95 in downtown Sandpoint and follows U.S. 95 north through Bonners Ferry to the junction of U.S. 95 and Idaho 1, then proceeds north on Idaho 1 to the International Border at Porthill.
- Fall colors on this byway are particularly dramatic.
- Attractions include Lake Pend Oreille, Kootenai National Wildlife Refuge, and the Kootenai Sturgeon Hatchery.
- Drive Time: 48.2 miles from Sandpoint to junction of U.S. 95/Idaho 1, 11 miles to the International Border at Porthill. Allow 1.5 hours.
- This is part of the International Selkirk Loop, designated as North America's only International Scenic Byway.
- Once in the Selkirk Mountains, check out hiking, fishing, Nordic skiing, and snowmobiling.
- Plan ahead to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip (fill up on gas, pack water and food, etc.).
Adventure In Your Inbox
Want more Road Trips adventures like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up below for new adventures monthly.