Things To Know
- Location: Begins on U.S. 95 in downtown Sandpoint and follows U.S. 95 north through Bonners Ferry to the junction of U.S. 95 and Idaho 1, then proceeds north on Idaho 1 to the International Border at Porthill.
- Fall colors on this byway are particularly dramatic.
- Attractions include Lake Pend Oreille, Kootenai National Wildlife Refuge, and the Kootenai Sturgeon Hatchery.
- Drive Time: 48.2 miles from Sandpoint to junction of U.S. 95/Idaho 1, 11 miles to the International Border at Porthill. Allow 1.5 hours.
- This is part of the International Selkirk Loop, designated as North America's only International Scenic Byway.
- Once in the Selkirk Mountains, check out hiking, fishing, Nordic skiing, and snowmobiling.
- Plan ahead to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip (fill up on gas, pack water and food, etc.).
Tips for Traveling in Idaho
There's so much to explore in Idaho, but where should you begin? Check out our weekly travel tips and start planning your next adventure.