St. Joe River Scenic Byway travels along the St. Joe River so named for the towering Cottonwoods which adorn the shore lines and picturesque mountain landscapes. Wildlife abounds along the river’s edge, where deer, elk, moose and bear can be seen. The St. Joe River Scenic Byway is truly a recreational treasure, with something for everyone.
Things To Know
- Location: From St. Maries at the junction of Idaho 3 and Forest Hwy 50 (FS 50), east along the St. Joe River for 75 miles. At the junction with Road 218, FS 50 heads north (left) and climbs 14 miles to the Idaho-Montana border.The byway follows Forest Highway 50 from St. Maries to the Idaho-Montana border for 89 miles.
- Attractions include Falls Creek waterfall, Idaho Panhandle National Forest, and St. Joe Wild and Scenic River.
- Drive Time: 89 miles. Allow 2.5 to 3 hours one way.
- During the winter, the section from Avery to the Idaho border is used as a snowmobile route.
- Plan ahead to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip (fill up on gas, pack water and food, etc.).
Adventure In Your Inbox
Want more Scenic Byways/Backcountry Drives adventures like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up below for new Adventures monthly.